During the biggest Naxal attack on April 24 in Chhattisgarh’s Sukma, about 55 people of the 74th Battalion of the CRPF had gone on an unexpected leave. It is not strange to take the leave of the soldiers, but simultaneously, so many soldiers of the same battalion are surprised to leave on vacation. In this attack, 25 soldiers were martyred.
The initial investigation of the attack came in the negligence of the police force. For this reason, on May 24, CRPF commander J. Vishwanath was suspended due to unsuccessful leadership. He was leading the team during the Sukma Naxalite attack. At the same time, commanding officer of the 74th Battalion Feroz Kujur was thrown out of Chhattisgarh.
All 25 soldiers who were martyred in Sukma attack were from CRPF’s 74th Battalion Delta Company. They were deployed between Burqapal and Chintagupa. The CRPF also transferred six commandants and one deputy inspector general posted in Bastar. In their place, the superior officers of the CRPF have been deployed, who can handle the front.
When did Naxal attack?
The CRPF delta company’s patrol arrived on patrol at 8.30 am on April 24. He came out as a road opening party from his camp Durgpal. Two kilometers away from Durgpal, near Chintagupa, two parts were dispersed. The number of soldiers was 99. Both the squads had advanced about 500 meters ahead of them that 300 Naxalites attacked them.
300 Naxalites Attack
A CRPF wounded soldier, Sher Mohammed, said that the attackers were in the number 300. At the same time, the CRPF had about 90 soldiers Sher said, “I shot in the chest of 3-4 Naxals. First he sent our villagers to see our location. Then the Naxalites attacked us. We also retaliated and killed the Maoists.’
When and Where the Attack Took Place?
- March 11, 2017: Naxal attack, 11 CRPF jawans martyrs in the inaccessible Bajji area of Sukma.
- March 11, 2014: Maoist attack on CRPF, 16 jawans martyrs in Taqwada
- September 2005: Blast on anti-landmine vehicle at Gangalur Road, Bijapur, 23 jawans martyrs
- July 2007: 23 security personnel were killed in Urampelita ambush under Errabor in Chhattisgarh.
- August 2007: 12 soldiers, including police officers, were martyred in an encounter in Tarametla of Chhattisgarh.
- July 12, 2009: 29 jawans were killed in the attack of the Ambus Naxalites in Rajnandgaon.
- April 6, 2010: 76 soldiers of CRPF were martyred in Dantewada Tadmatela.
- December 1, 2014: Attack on CRPF’s 233 battalions, 13 soldiers martyred in Sukma